Friday, April 2, 2010

Hello friends. It is amazing to me, how much we can affect each other.
It is near the first of the month and we have several customers who have a house charge...something not many places do anymore. They live on a fixed income and they get a check from SSDI or some such near the first of each month.
This morning, Jack, whom I wrote about in a previous post was in to pay his bill. He had asked me to add it up, as he was going to the bank to withdraw what he needed to pay his various debts. I told him he owed $163.41.
There were several people at the counter. A few stools down from Jack, was a nice looking man. He was very quiet, and polite. He just sort of ate his breakfast and didn't say much. The restaurant got kind of busy, and I was running around a bit.
At one point, the man from the counter approached me, and asked if the man with the guitar, (Jack), was allowed credit here. I explained the situation, and then he asked if I thought it would help Jack if the man payed his bill this month.
Now Jack has been struggling to meet his obligations lately, so I said "Yes", it would help him a great deal. The man pressed $180.00 into my hand smiling, and walked out the door.
When Jack came back from the bank, I told him it was his lucky day, he had won the lottery. He laughed and said he didn't believe me. I told him about the man paying his whole bill and you should have seen his face.
You wouldn't think a little breakfast/lunch place was a place for miracles, but it is. It was for Jack today. And it was for anyone who experienced the kindness and generosity of a total stranger. The joy on Jack's face was contagious. It felt a little like we all won the lottery.

No comments:

Post a Comment